Ran across an issue where the setup for Office 2007 would not complete. It installed itself enough to show in Add/Remove Programs yet the programs wouldn’t start. To resolve this I followed part of the steps in this article.
Specifically just Step 1…
Step 1: Remove any remaining Windows Installer packages of the 2007 Microsoft Office system:
- Click Start, click Run, type installer, and then click OK.This process opens the %windir%\Installer folder.
- On the View menu, click Details.
Important To use the View menu in Windows Vista, you must press the ALT key first to display the menu bar, and then click the View menu.
- On the View menu, click Choose Details.
- Click to select the Subject check box, type 340 in the Width of selected column (in pixels) box, and then click OK.
Note It may take several minutes for the subjects to appear next to each .msi file.
- For Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, on the View menu, point to Arrange icons by, and then click Subject. For Windows Vista, on the View menu, point to Sort By, and then click Subject. In Windows Vista, a User Account Control dialog box may be displayed with the following warning:
An unidentified program wants access to your computer
Click Allow when you see this warning message.
- For each .msi file where the subject is “Microsoft Office Product_Name 2007,” right-click the .msi file, and then click Uninstall.
Note Product_Name is a placeholder for the name of the 2007 Microsoft Office product.
After that I used the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility (download here) to remove the instance in Add/Remove Programs. Installation completed successfully afterwards. 🙂